Sires Produce Stakes to Kick Off $1 Million in Bonuses for The NZB Kiwi
New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has today revealed the initial New Zealand races that will allow the country’s fastest juveniles to compete for their share of an additional $1 million in bonuses associated with the country’s first Thoroughbred slot race, The NZB Kiwi.
To be eligible for a share in the $1 million bonus pool, a horse must win one of the various Bonus Eligible iconic New Zealand and/or Australian races, and also run a top three placing in The NZB Kiwi held on Champions Day (8 March 2025).
The Bonus for horses that run a place in The NZB Kiwi (provided they have won a Bonus Eligible race), will be $600k for first, $250k for second, and $150k for third place.
The first Bonus Eligible race will be the Group 1 Manawatu Sires Produce Stakes (1400m) for two-year-olds, set to be run this season on 6 April 2024. The initial list of New Zealand Bonus Eligible races is outlined below:
- Group 1 Courtesy Ford Manawatu Sires Produce Stakes (1400m) - Manawatu Racing Club at RACE Trentham
- Group 2 James and Annie Sarten Memorial (1400m) - Waikato Thoroughbred Racing at Te Rapa Racecourse
- Group 1 Barneswood Farm One Thousand Guineas (1600m) - Canterbury Jockey Club at Riccarton Park
- Group 1 Al Basti Equiworld Dubai New Zealand Two Thousand Guineas (1600m) - Canterbury Jockey Club at Riccarton Park
- Group 1 Cambridge Stud Levin Classic (1400m) - Wellington Racing Club at RACE Trentham
- Listed TAB Karaka Millions 3YO (1600m) – Auckland Thoroughbred Racing at Ellerslie Racecourse
- Group 2 Cambridge Stud Alamanzor Trophy (1200m) - Auckland Thoroughbred Racing at Ellerslie Racecourse
- Group 1 BCD Group Sprint (1400m) - Waikato Thoroughbred Racing at Te Rapa Racecourse
NZTR’s Chief Operating Officer Darin Balcombe welcomed today’s announcement.
“Off the back of The NZB Kiwi and Summer Carnival announcement NZTR made last week, we have seen a huge lift in optimism towards our industry.
“We wanted to build momentum for the inaugural running of The NZB Kiwi, with a two-year-old in the current season being the first Bonus Eligible horse, should they go on to run in the race next year.
“This creates an opportunity for potential Slot Holders to start a conversation in securing the first Bonus Eligible horse once the Slot Auction has taken place on 27 February 2024 at Karaka,” he said.
In the coming months, NZTR will look to announce a number of Australian Bonus Eligible races which will also form a part of The NZB Kiwi $1 million bonus pool.
For more information about The NZB Kiwi, or the Slot Auction visit nztr.co.nz/the-kiwi