Wairarapa Racing Club
Take over the reins at Tauherenikau - Track Manager/Caretaker
Here’s an opportunity to work in one of the most picturesque race courses in NZ.
Tauherenikau hosts four race meetings per year but is also a thriving events centre
and wedding venue with tens of thousands of people visiting the race course every year.
Our ideal candidate to take over the reins would be a person who has the following skills
- Greenkeeping or Caretaker Skills
- Great communication skills
- Has a love for the outdoors
- Has pride in the presentation of their work
- Loves horse racing.
- Previous turf and track management would naturally be a benefit but full training would be given.
You would be responsible for maintaining the track to the standards set by NZTR alongside caretaking duties keeping this beautiful venue pristine for our many visitors who attend our race meetings, events and weddings. There is also some stock work involved.
Applications close on Friday 28th of August and please forward a CV to Matthew Sherry General Manager Wairarapa Racing Club at [email protected] or call Matt on 0212 2710364.
- the racing and training tracks
- the course facilities, machinery and building maintenance
- other outside course staff
- the course presentation to a high standard for raceday events and for other tenant groups
hiring the facilities and trainers based on-course.
- obligations around Health and Safety
Interested applicants are encouraged to make contact with the General Manager Jeff McLaughlin by phone or email to request a full job description of the role and again later, to arrange a time to discuss any aspects that require clarification. An indication of the salary range will be discussed at this time.
All communication will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Applicants please enclose a cover letter and a current resume.
Applications close on Thursday 19th August at 12 noon. It is envisaged a short list will be completed very soon after that with interviews scheduled during the following week.
Email: [email protected]
- Are you passionate about horse racing and turf/track management?
- Are you an experienced Groundsman or Turf/Track Manager wanting to take the next step in your career?
- Do you want to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle in a great part of New Zealand?
As part of our team you will be responsible for managing and maintaining the highest standards of track and training surfaces and their surroundings to meet contract specifications. It's a "hands on" role, supported by a small but dedicated team and positive management.
- You will be passionate about horse tracks (and sport) have energy to burn and be self-driven.
- Ideally you will hold or be working towards a Level 4 New Zealand Sports Track Management qualification or equivalent.
- Previous experience working with and managing turf or track surfaces including experience operating a variety of maintenance and renovation equipment.
- A strong work ethic with a can-do attitude goes with-out saying.
- Have effective communication skills to liaise with key stakeholders, clients and interest groups.
- Strong attention to detail and organisational skills
- The ability to work autonomously and be a team player is important as at times you may work with others in the team to support with a diverse range of operations.
- A competitive salary that is reviewed annually.
- A company vehicle.
- A wealth of knowledge and experience within the company to support your professional development.
- Opportunities for internal and external training.
- Promotional opportunities for advancement within the industry throughout New Zealand.
- Be part of a unique, whānau orientated, company which cares about their people.
There are Stud Groom positions available at our Auckland (Karaka) and Waikato (Matamata) farms.
- Handling of weanlings
- Preparing yearlings for the major yearling sales across Australasia
- Handling of broodmares including assisting with vet work, teasing, and assisting in the serving barn
- Horse grooming and care
- Mixing feeds and doing feed runs
- General stable duties and facility maintenance
- Handling of six commercial thoroughbred stallions
- Parading stallions for breeders
- Handling stallions and broodmares in the covering shed
- Teasing mares
- Caring for an extensive broodmare band
- General stable duties including feeding, mucking out, holding for the farrier and dentist etc
- Administering medical treatments
- Handling of foals, weanlings and yearlings
- Preparation of yearlings for the major sales throughout Australasia
- Other general stable and farm duties as required by the manager
Keen to be a part of team Wexford? We are on the hunt for a superstar stablehand to join our small team based at Matamata Racecourse.
Working with our lovely team of horses, duties will include feeding and grooming horses, and other general stable duties. This position does not require you to ride (although we'd certainly love to hear from you if a trackwork position is of interest!).
Ideal applicants will have experience working with horses (racing preferred but not essential), be a team player and love horses. The role will require you to work six mornings a week, with afternoon and weekend work also available should you wish.
Accommodation is available for the right person.
Due to the current situation with Covid-19, we are only able to accept applications from people who hold the rights to work in New Zealand (work visa, resident or citizens) and are currently in New Zealand.
Please express interest by emailing [email protected], detailing your experience.
Drivers Required - Class 2 or 4
Full Time - Christchurch, Palmerston North & Waikato based drivers required
Majestic Horse Floats has been established since 1938 and is New Zealand’s leading provider of transport to the equine industry. To ensure our national market leading presence we are developing the size and scope of our driving teams around the country.
Ideally you come from within our industry and have a flexible can-do attitude as no two days are the same and we operate 7 days per week. Your geographical knowledge and customer leading focus set you apart from others you work with.
We have a fleet of 33 trucks around the country and there is interisland and overnight travel expected. You will be expected to work 6 of every 7 days, with 1 weekend off per calendar month.
This is a salary remunerated position.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICANTS MUST BE CONFIDENT AND EXPERIENCED IN HANDLING AND LOADING A VARIETY OF DIFFERENT HORSES.
We deal with a variety of horses some of which may be young or haven’t been handled much, you must have the skills and patience necessary to load these horses safely.
To express interest, please either phone or forward your CV to:
Ward Austin, CEO, Majestic Horse Floats
email: [email protected]
mobile: 027 540 9259
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa and a class 2 or 4 license.
Position Purpose: The Counties Racing Club is an established Thoroughbred Racing and Training venue based at Pukekohe Park. The current 2019/2020 Season is a milestone for the Club as it celebrates its Centennial in May 2020 The Curator/Track and Facilities Manager is responsible for leading the team that provides the maintenance and management of the Clubs four turf tracks, sand track, plough track and other horse training related infrastructure as well as the grounds and Park surrounds and all the Parks facilities (excluding the motor racing circuit). The Track and Facilities Manager will be involved in liaison with various departments from NZTR, in particular the Racing Integrity Unit and other related parties to ensure the Club is best placed to continually attract the patronage, be that with Trainers or NZTR, that allows the Club to meet its Strategic Plan.
Some of the key areas include:
- Leading the team that provide high-quality range of services, including tracks for racing and training activities
- Maintaining all tracks to the standard as set out by in the NZTR guidelines
- Provide customer focused safe surfaces for Trainers at Pukekohe Park
- Directing the team to conduct the Clubs race meetings
- Liaising with contractors and/or suppliers in relation to tracks maintenance
- Work in collaboration with the Clubs other Managers; Administration, Marketing and Sponsorship, Events & Motor circuit
If you are interested in this position, please contact Greg Mitchell [email protected]
We welcome thoroughbred racing industry role advertisements on this page - if you have a role that supports the breeding or racing of thoroughbreds, please get in touch with us via details below.
Contact: Mary Burgess, Corporate Communications & Media Advisor